building boundary setback for residential development

Building boundary setbacks. Don’t cross the line.

Whether you are a building certifer or not, it is common knowledge that there are certain Boundary Setback Requirements which you must abide by when conducting any type of construction. However determining the exact requirements for your block of land can be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Here is where to start.

There are three different possibilities of where you can find your setback requirements:

1.The Queensland Development Code MP 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3,
2.The relevant local Town Planning Scheme which will override the QDC, or
3.Council approved Building Envelope Plans, which override both the QDC and Town Planning Scheme.

Once you have determined your boundary setback requirements, you should know your potential building footprint area. However, as we all know, staying with in this boundary is not always as easy as it seems. Physical on site limitations, such as sloping land or property size and shape, may force your building to encroach into the setback requirements.

If your development cannot comply with the boundary requirements you will need to obtain, what many refer to as a “Siting Approval”, from your local Council prior to you receiving your building permit. The formal process for this type of application is called a Concurrence Agency Referral.  If you need assistance with this contact one of our town planners or building certifiers at Development Certification.

Share on

Candace is a valued past employee of Devcert. Candace started as a student with Devcert in 2010 and obtained a Bachelor Degree in Planning while working with us. Many of the planning articles on The Oil Stone were researched and developed by Candace.